Monday, October 12, 2009

Random Thoughts for Columbus Day

Today is Columbus Day and I think we should all heft a pint of our favorite something to the feisty Italian explorer. Though he is being denigrated in our government run schools and is commonly vilified by idiots who think the western hemisphere was some sort of Utopia before Europeans arrived, he deserves to be remembered as part of the spirit of exploration. He was a complex man with as many failings and character flaws as the rest of us - it just happens that his character flaws often offend modern sensibilities - and he, like all historical figures, should be considered in the context of his times. It is highly unlikely that any other figure driven to reach China and India by traveling west through unexplored waters would have treated the aboriginal Americans any differently and possibly worse.

Some of you may think that I like George W. Bush but while I believed him to be a good man and well intended in his defense of the nation, overall I did not care for most of his policies. I especially don't like people lying about his actions or those of any other president. Seriously, there is enough to criticize without resorting to lies. I guess that's better than I believe of Barry Obama whom I believe to have an agenda aimed at destroying the middle class and wrecking the tattered remains of American sovereignty.

The Obama Administration is claiming that the economy would be worse without the stimulus and their guidance over the last nine months. However if we think of the economy in terms of a wounded and bleeding patient, having the EMTs slow the bleeding rather than stop it isn't going to fill me with a sense of optimism. My first thought is that I'm just going to die more slowly and probably in a lot more pain.

October hosts the anniversary's of two of the pivotal events in the history of Western Civilization. I will address both of them on the appropriate day so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment